Diet and Hearing Loss: Is there a Connection?
Can your diet protect you from hearing loss? Good question.
It turns out that diet is one of the few modifiable risk factors for age-related hearing loss.
The Blue Mountains Hearing Study , conducted in Australia, looked at whether diet can prevent or slow the development of age-related hearing loss.
Researchers found that people who had higher intakes of dietary omega-3 and who consumed fish on a weekly basis had a reduced risk (42%) of developing age-related hearing loss. See this article for ways to load up on foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
In another article, published in the Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, the researchers from the Blue Mountains Hearing Study looked at dietary vitamin E and vitamin A intake.
They found that people who had diets rich in vitamin E and vitamin A also had a reduced risk of developing age-related hearing loss. See here for foods high in vitamin E.
Study participants who had the highest dietary vitamin A intake had a 47% reduced risk of having moderate or greater hearing loss (>40 dB HL) compared to those who had the lowest intake. See here for foods high in vitamin A.
Photo credit: © Catsi | Dreamstime.com
- ABOUT US
- HEAR BETTER
- LIP READING
- CONTACT US
- Communication Strategies
- Use what you know
- Asking for repetition
- Can't hear when people mumble? Get help from the chameleon effect!
- Teach Others How to Help
- Are You Bluffing?
- Get Beyond Small Talk
- Hear Better in Restaurants
- Communication: a two way street
- How to ask for help so that others will "hear" you
- How Should You Remind People About Your Hearing Loss?
- Educating others about hearing loss
- Pretending to Listen
- Hearing Aids
- Hearing Test
- For Significant Others
- For Hearing Care Professionals
- LACE Coaching for Hearing Care Professionals
- Hearing Strategies coaching for hearing care professionals
- Hearing in Noise is the Holy Grail
- Hearing loss and 'all or nothing' thinking
- Case history question: which ear on the phone?
- Client confidence from LACE training
- Happier relationships: role of the hearing care professional
- Customer service
- Adjusting to hearing loss
- Are Restaurants Way Too Loud?
- Dear 16 Year Old Me
- Disclosing Hearing Loss
- My hearing aids don't work well anymore
- Technology and hearing loss
- The best parts of me
- Turning Point with Hearing Loss
- Upside-Down Thinking
- Ear Candles and Cotton Swabs
- Holiday Season and Hearing Loss
- Focus on Starting
Sign up for the HEARa Newsletter
Hearing Health Care Education Forum and Lunch at the National Arts Centre May 7-8 (Ottawa)
Hearing Strategies for Adults (3 hour class) May 11 (Calgary)
CHHA Conference workshop: LACE Up: How Auditory Training Can Help You to Hear Better in Noise May 24 (Edmonton)